Helichrysum, also known as everlasting, immortelle and H. italcum is a strongly aromatic shrub with a woody base and long stems. The plant produces little golden flowers that resemble the sun and grows wild throughout South Africa, Madagascar and the Mediterranean. Approximately 500 species of helichrysum exist in the world but just a few produce enough essential oil to be distilled.
This beautiful ray of sunshine may be an expensive oil, but worth every penny and will maintain freshness as an essential oil for many years. Helichrysum has been nicknamed "immortelle" because the flower bud maintains it's shape and bright color even when dried; another is for how long it can last after distillation.
5 Benefits of Helichrysum Essential Oil
1. Skin care. Because of helichrysum's ability to heal the skin quickly, reduce inflammation and relieve pain, it is strongly recommended in skin care. This oil is great for facial creams, body creams and massage oil as it also encourages lymphatic drainage, thus aiding the body in removing toxins which can lead to acne and boils. It also increases the rate at which healthy, new skin cells form and may help reduce irregularities on the skin caused by scarring, acne, boils or chicken pox.
2. Wound care. Helichrysum has the amazing benefit of being able to produce scar tissue rapidly and prevent dangerous microbes from developing in an open wound. In fact, it is recommended by many traditional health practitioners for the emergency treatment of large injuries because of it's ability to promote the wound-healing process. It is also recommended for any type of cut, burn or scrape to reduce swelling, relieve pain and prevent permanent scar tissue from building up.
3. Musculoskeletal. Due to this oil's anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, it is excellent for the home treatment of arthritic conditions. It is generally known as a soothing oil and is a great additive to any massage oil or body butter. Apply Helichrysum daily to provide your body what it needs to repair and restore.
4. Antitussive. Helichrysum has been known to help suppress coughing by reducing the activity of the cough center of the brain and by thinning out mucus in the trachea, lungs and bronchi. It also assists the body in removing mucus build up due to its expectorant and mucolytic properties. Add a few drops to a carrier oil and apply to chest and neck during a cold.
5. Detoxification. Helichrysum is also known for it's ability to purify the blood. One way it does this is by encouraging lymph node drainage. Another is by stimulating the gall bladder, liver, kidneys and spleen, all organs known to help detoxify the body. Apply as a daily moisturizer or add a few drops to jojoba oil and massage into the skin all over your body to promote circulation of the lymphatic system. Or better yet, schedule a massage and have them rub it in for you!
The Helichrysum Personality
Not only does Helichrysum offer a slew of health benefits (far more than even mentioned above), but it also creates a mind/body/spirit effect. Mojay in Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit, 1996, describes the personality trait of an individual who would benefit from the use of Helichrysum as one who is, "emotionally "blocked" in a profound way, unable not only to their anger and despair but to admit to themselves the fact of their own deep wounding."
The amazing thing is that if such an individual were to begin incorporating Helichrysum into their lives, it is said that these blockages can be released. Results of course, vary with each individual and are not as pronounced as taking a pill for a headache. Essential oils nurture the body and mind into helping itself benefit from these attributes. Essential oils are nature's gentle push for growth inside each one of us.
The Power of Nature
This article, along with many other informative pieces describing nature's gifts and the powers they hold, will be posted in Nefertem's private Facebook group. We welcome you to join our group if you are interested in learning tried-and-true herbal remedies, essential oil uses and blends, and how to incorporate ALL of nature's gifts into your daily routine. This exclusive group is a space for all of us mothers, fathers, grandparents, men and women to share the knowledge we have learned and the wisdom we have aquired for all those children yet unborn. Join us on this journey and share your own tips along the way.
Have you tried our Transform Body Butter which boasts the awesome powers of helichrysum, German chamomile, vetiver, lavender and orange essential oils?