Can an Herbal Infused Body Butter Reduce Inflammation?
"1 in 12 women and 1 in 24 men are dealing with full blown autoimmune mediated inflammation." (David M. Marquis, DC, Diplomat American Clinical Board of Nutrition) Imagine what the number would be if those of us who are silently suffering from inflammatory conditions and don't know it, would become aware.
Inflammation is a root cause or a primary symptom in arguably every illness and disease we experience but can be nurtured naturally if we choose to make changes in our daily routines.
Unfortunately, in the Western world, inflammation is treated as a minor concern compared to the disease being treated. But as we know, when we isolate a problem, instead of looking at the totality of it, we tend to miss out on the holistic understanding of what our body is doing and instead continue to treat symptoms, not the root of the problem. This approach to health will never produce true healing.
What is Inflammation?
Inflammation is an indispensable component of the body's natural immune function that produces redness, swelling, pain and heat in the afflicted area. When the body becomes compromised, enzymes called cyclooxygenase COX-1 and COX-2 convert arachidonic acid, a stored fat, into prostaglandins which produce heat and inflammation at the source of the problem.
Acute inflammation (lasting a few days) helps our body defend against pathogens, bacteria, disease, infection, skin lacerations and so much more. Chronic inflammation (lasting weeks, months or years), however, can lead to self-destructive behavior at the cellular level and cause permanent, severe damage to organs, tissues, joints, muscles, nerves and more.
The following is a small list of conditions that share an intimate relationship with inflammation. There are tons of other diseases and health conditions not mentioned below that attribute to or suffer from systemic inflammation.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis
What's worse is that most people suffer with minor inflammatory conditions for years before noticing the devastating effects of it, at which point, it can have developed into something severe or irreversible. Unfortunately, many people aren't willing to make major changes in their lifestyle or dietary habits in order to prevent long-term damage in the future. It isn't until we feel bad "enough" that we make changes.
This is where the Ailments Herbal Body Butter comes in. A daily cream made with essential oils and herbs known for their anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties. For most people, putting lotion on their bodies is already a part of their daily routine, therefore, no lifestyle change. But the real question is...are you putting a chemical concoction on your skin or a jar of plant essences, vitamins and antioxidants?
Pharmaceutical treatment options for inflammation include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, aspirin and naproxen. Both have been long known to cause serious damage to the liver, kidneys and gastrointestinal tract. NSAIDs work by inhibiting the COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes. However, these drugs produce only superficial, temporary reduction in inflammation and relief from pain; when the drug wears off, the problem still exists.
It's time we start taking back control of our health as individuals and collectively as a community. It's time we truly understand that plants are food and food is medicine and medicine can be taken internally or applied externally as a part of our daily routine with the goal in mind of restoring health.
Just about every medicinal plant offers some anti-inflammatory benefit, however, a select handful are known to significantly reduce inflammation and pain.
The following herbs can be applied topically by infusing the herb into an oil for 4-8 hours, then straining and applying. They can be brewed into an herbal infusion whether by simmering or steeping, based on the hardiness of the herb. Or of course, you can check out the dynamic blend of herbs and essential oils contained inside of our Ailments Herbal Body Butter where we did the hard work for you!
The following herbs work to balance the production of prostaglandins.
- White Willow Bark. The bark from the white willow tree has been used for thousands of years as an anti-inflammatory and analgesic (pain-relieving) remedy. The tree's main active constituent that produces this effect is salicylic acid. Salicylic acid was first isolated in 1838, then developed into what we now know as aspirin in 1899. Unfortunately, again, synthetically mimicking one single plant element may produce one desired effect, but comes with a host of undesired effects such as ulcers, thinned blood and irritation to the stomach lining. Using the entire plant ensures that all the so-called "nominal" plant constituents work in the same harmony as nature intended them to.
- Turmeric. There has been a lot of buzz about turmeric lately, namely the plants main constituent associated with reducing inflammation, curcumin. Recent study proves what the ancestors have always known, turmeric has the ability to lower cholesterol, reduce inflammation (even stronger action than hydrocortisone) and neutralize harmful free radicals.
- Borage Seed Oil. This oil has a high concentration of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) which functions as an effective anti-inflammatory agent. Borage seed oil is also rich in linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid, needed for optimal health.
- Blue Yarrow Essential Oil. While an extremely pricey oil, blue yarrow is arguable one of the best essential oils for the treatment of any skin condition, wound or inflammation. It has antiseptic, astringent, styptic and anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, yarrow has been used to help heal skin lacerations in soldiers of war, treat allergic skin reactions and soothe eczema and psoriasis. Energetically, yarrow stimulates the flow of Qi (in TCM) and releases stagnant blockages both physically and emotionally.
- Peppermint. Great for reducing inflammation and relieving headaches when applied topically.
- Wintergreen. A powerful pain reliever.
- Ginger. Analgesic, stimulant, tonic.
- Eucalyptus. Anti-inflammatory, anti-rheumatic, antiviral, antibacterial.
- Lavender. Analgesic, anti-inflammatory, sedative. Great for regenerating health cells.
- Cinnamon. Stimulates circulation, generates warmth and supports the immune system.
- Clove. Helps relieve rheumatic pain, arthritis and muscle sprains.
- Blue Chamomile.
- and the list goes on.....
Nefertem's Ailments Herbal Body Butter
Our stimulating yet soothing body butter blend contains many of the herbs and essential oils listed above known to reduce inflammation and ease pain. We begin making this body butter by steeping yarrow flower, white willow bark and turmeric root in extra virgin olive oil for 8 hours on low heat. We do this to ensure the plants constituents have the time to infuse their goodness into the oil all while maintaining low temperatures to protect the integrity of the olive oil.
We then strain the infused oil into our fine-tuned blend of unrefined shea butter, cocoa butter, beeswax, virgin unrefined coconut oil, moringa oil, tamanu oil and borage seed oil. We then carefully add a hefty amount of essential oils into the batch, blend to ensure a creamy consistency and then pour into dark glass jars to protect the delicate oils from any light damage.
And we do this all while holding positive intention in mind! One 4 oz. jar contains almost half an ounce of some of the most precious, pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils we could find.
To use, rub all over your body as a daily cream and concentrate your energy on any areas of pain or inflammation. Reapply as necessary throughout the day and note that because our body butters do not contain any water or alcohol, a little goes a long way.
Unlike many store-bought lotions that list water or alcohol as the first ingredient...think about it... this inflammation cream will actually absorb into your skin, not simply evaporate soon after application making it appear as though it has been absorbed.* Top that with the fact that it smells divine and you have yourself a winning combo!
While we can make no claims what-so-ever to the effectiveness of this product containing plants used by our ancestors to heal inflammation and relieve pain for THOUSANDS OF YEARS, (thanks to the good ol' FDA), our customers can tell you best."After just one application, I was able to move my leg freely. It reduced the swelling and pain in my knee and had a pleasant scent. Before this cream it would take me a while before I could stand in the morning and even longer to take my first few steps. Now I apply this cream to my knees as soon as I wake up and I am able to move freely within minutes. The pain is almost completely gone and I feel more full of energy than I have in a long time. I will never go back to over-the-counter pain-relieving creams and I recommend that you give this cream a try. It gave me back the quality of life I was lacking." (P.A.H. 07/15/15)
Bringing the Power of Nature into Daily Routine.™
*The FDA has not evaluated the statements made herein. The information above is intended for educational purposes only and is not designed to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease. Our products are also not intended to treat or cure any condition or disease. Consult with your health practitioner if you have symptoms.